Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Response to Fat Jaguar vs Fat Elephant: FIGHT

The speaker of this article is Lesley, from Fatshionista and she wrote the article Fat Jaguar vs Fat Elephant: FIGHT. She is basically talking to all audiences about how she feels about how society feels about bigger/heavier set people. She seems to have discontent with the fact that people are berating and making fun of bigger people, or making fun of how people look in general. She really feels that bodies are individual and that people are all different. She conveys this message in kind of a ... calm tone, and very argumentative. She asks rhetorical questions and answers them herself.


I completely agree with her opinion. I hate it when people just stand around and talk about whoever walks by. For one, it's disrespectful, and two, it's unnecessary. I will not lie, I have talked about people too, but when it becomes an everyday thing, and when it becomes outrageous to the point where you're talking about someone that you don't even know, or you do it to everyone that walks by, I feel that it is ridiculous. To me, you do not need to comment on everyone you see. Because I wouldn't want anyone doing that to me. It's not even cool.

As for my opinion on specifically bigger individuals, I feel the same way. It's unnecessary. Not everyone can be skinny.

And I have been made fun of all my life because in my family, being heavy doesn't run in my family. And because I had to be the odd one out, I was always made fun of. While everyone in my family was like a size 5, I was a size 13 and I still am. I was made fun of all throughout elementary school and in middle school. And still by my parents to this day. It would always get to the point where I would cry. [and that's not cool] It all stopped at school when I started getting curves and a shape, but I still feel that it's wrong to have to comment about someone's weight all the time. Who cares? Why does it matter?

I'm still a human being just like the rest, and I now have the attitude that if you don't like the way I look, either don't look, or you do something to fix it. :) I've come to the realization that people will not accept you, so you have to accept yourself. Period. So I really agree with Lesley because it seems that she accepts herself the way she is and proud of who she is. And I'm right with her too.

8 comments:

  1. Excellent points, Shay! I agree; I also think that society needs to reconsider their definition of "beautiful" altogether! I think FAT is beautiful! Have you heard about those slogans from the 60/70s, "Black is Beautiful" during the civil rights movement? I think we need to see t-shirts now that say, "Fat is Beautiful!"
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome response shay!! i definitely agree with what your saying. my best friend is heavy set and it absolutely kills me that she has to be subjected to judgment from others. i mean its her body and she can do what she wants and no ones opinion should even matter!! but when she is having breakdowns from the completely rude and unnecessary comments from strangers it really makes you question our culture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I agree with you and I hate when ppl talk about other people and they don't know them. I feel that society and the media has made it that way to where girls feel ugly and uncomfortable about the way they look n there is nothing wrong with being fat

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are right, if people don't accept you, you have to accept your self. and as to talking about people who you don't know its not cool at all because you are judging people just by the way they look. nice post

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree completely. Some of my friends are kind of fat and im SUPER skinny and i eat more than they do. Sometimes it not the persons fault that they are a bit large than everyone else its just because it is in their genes, or because their metabolism is slow. it really sucks that people are judged by how they look :(.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree completely, I think is so wrong judge ppl based looks especially on body size it is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you because you shouldn't judge people by there looks, you don't even know who they are and how they act and its just like judging a book by its cover. You can't tell if that books is good or bad by just by looking at the cover, you have to read yet so you shouldn't start judging people by how they look until you get to know them and see who they really are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah yea i agree. people who do shit like talking bout everyone walks by are the ones who are really missing something so dont let it bother u is wat id say

    ReplyDelete