Wednesday, June 24, 2009

this i believe --> the power of music


I believe in the power of music because it expresses each emotion that I ever feel, and it’s always there no matter what happens.

I’ve always loved music ever since I was a small child. If I wanted my bottle, I would sing that I wanted it. If a song came on for the first time, I would know the lyrics after the song was over. I loved music that much. I was always singing and dancing. I got my first keyboard for my fifth birthday, and I always made new songs, and had fun with it. However being that young, I didn’t appreciate all types of music.

When at elementary age, I didn’t appreciate any other types of music except for hip-hop or r&b. I wouldn’t dare listen to a thing else. I really didn’t know what the meanings of songs were, and I just liked the beats. I totally denounced any other type of music. It wasn’t until I told my mom that I liked no other music that maybe I was being a bit shallow. When I hit middle school, my mom told me that I should appreciate everyone’s art and potential even though I may not agree with it.

And around 7th or 8th grade, I started to broaden my horizon.

Because I play the piano, I really started to appreciate classical music and the real beauty behind it. I actually started to know the feelings that the artists had behind their music and the hard work that was put into it. I now see the beauty and the potential of every kind of music, whether it is classical, hip-hop, country, reggae … anything.

Now at sixteen, every time I ever perform I always put emotion into my music. Without it, it would be so boring. However I feel that day, I play the way that I feel. Whether it is a free for all recital or a Christmas recital … anything. I would always make the audience cry because I would be so attached to my music and actually … feel what I’m playing.

Not only that, but it makes me feel better whenever I need it, and it’s always there no matter what. When I feel down, I either play my piano, or listen to music that either makes me relax, or I listen to something that will make me cry so I can get all of it out. I use it when I need to concentrate and relax my mind. I use it anywhere, everywhere.


I don’t know where I would be without music. It’s nearly my whole life, and I put everything into it. That’s why I believe in the power of it. It’s always there and it never lets me down.

7 comments:

  1. this is amazing!! it really shows how music can change a persons life. ive grown up listening to every type of music and i truly love it all. i love singing and dancing and im in choir and its great. keep up the good work shay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is not doubt that music is powerful tool. I to listen to music when I'm down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i LOVE music and i don't know what i would do during those sad times without it, or even happy times. music can definitely cheer you up, and it can even help you describe and understand emotions that you didn't even realize resided in you. whenever i feel confused or lonely and i can't talk to anyone about what i need to talk about, i turn to music and find a song to explain to myself what exactly is the matter and it really makes me feel better

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Blog! Music is powerful in so many ways...no matter what flavor of music it can do wonders it can influence your mood and there is always a song that you can listen to.

    I personally like genres like Techno, Gabba, Psychedelic, Trance, Breakcore, NU-NRG...stuff like that

    ReplyDelete
  5. music is a very powerful tool.. i love listening to music... nice job..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very very nice blog....music is the best thing in modern day life....very powerful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blog was very good shay especially because i love music, and i write my own music for guitar so i think its great that you love music like i do and you have a passion for something

    ReplyDelete